1994-12-15 - Re: FV fine print

Header Data

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 94d1ea04facb2877c79885b8ddd955644a759cd6145f301ded8e59e5ee6b053b
Message ID: <199412151808.KAA06618@largo.remailer.net>
Reply To: <Miw6iTb0Eyt5RL_c4_@nsb.fv.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-15 17:10:50 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 09:10:50 PST

Raw message

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 09:10:50 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: FV fine print

   From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@nsb.fv.com>

   FYI, this is a direct carryover from the standard terms & conditions of
   a Visa/MasterCard merchant account.

Now that's what I thought it might be, and I'm not particularly
surprised.  If you use Visa, you have to play by Visa's rules.

On cypherpunks, though, information lifetime is just one of those
generally interesting questions.

This information storage requirement is reminiscent of the Bank
Secrecy Act of (I think) 1974.  Is this clause from Visa/MC a direct
(or indirect, even) result of that act, or is this just coincidence?
This is banking arcanity, not crypto arcanity, and I'm not expecting
an answer very hard.

Eric

Thread