1994-12-24 - Re: HTTP redirectors

Header Data

From: Jonathan Cooper <entropy@IntNet.net>
To: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Message Hash: a8ba62a2179fd6569294be51effda35f103e0802f8e0d8f0f98c9f047c860a5e
Message ID: <Pine.SV4.3.91.941224092534.22880A-100000@xcalibur>
Reply To: <199412202135.NAA21822@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-24 14:39:14 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 24 Dec 94 06:39:14 PST

Raw message

From: Jonathan Cooper <entropy@IntNet.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 94 06:39:14 PST
To: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Subject: Re: HTTP redirectors

> One idea that was suggested here would be to have a local proxy process,
> a very simple one which your fancy client connected to for all your net
> accesses.  This would be where you would implement encryption, or new
> protocols for chaining, etc.  This way we don't have to try to persuade
> client writers to incorporate our improvements; the existing proxy
> support provides the loophole we need.  One nice feature, for example,
> would be a full 128 bit IDEA or RC4 encryption engine so that overseas
> Netscape users (or domestic ones who are stuck with crippled versions)
> can get good security.

   Indeed.  Then you could set your proxyserver to:
http://localhost:4242/CHAIN:3/ ... which would connect to the local wedge
on 4242, tell it to chain, and pass the URL to go to.  Hopefully then the
wedge could pick another one out of a local list and connect to it,
passing: CHAIN:2, ad infinitum.  It really does not seem to be very
technically difficult.  Once again, it comes down to "who's willing to
run these beasts?"

-jon
( --------[ Jonathan D. Cooper ]--------[ entropy@intnet.net ]-------- )
( PGP 2.6.2 keyprint: 31 50 8F 82 B9 79 ED C4  5B 12 A0 35 E0 9B C0 01 )
( home page: http://hyperreal.com/~entropy/ ]-------[ Key-ID: 4082CCB5 )

Thread