1994-12-21 - Re: anon-HTTP server w/o root access

Header Data

From: Bass Wastelan <bass@fc.net>
To: lmccarth@ducie.cs.umass.edu (L. McCarthy)
Message Hash: adeb8cd02858a8d4b8d51e05d4dcd14187f70d6a88c403ed9619c7130f349904
Message ID: <199412211728.LAA01434@freeside.fc.net>
Reply To: <199412210047.TAA10557@bb.hks.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-21 17:26:16 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 21 Dec 94 09:26:16 PST

Raw message

From: Bass Wastelan <bass@fc.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 94 09:26:16 PST
To: lmccarth@ducie.cs.umass.edu (L. McCarthy)
Subject: Re: anon-HTTP server w/o root access

> someone writes:
> $ an anon-http proxy server would probably consume much more in
> $ the way of network resources than a remailer, which will
> $ likely lead to many being shutdown once discovered by the sysadmins
>
> That might be somewhat less true on a commercial provider than on an
> educational or corporate provider, but in any case a WWW anon-server would be
> seen as a much larger potential security hole than a remailer. A couple of
> months ago a "friendly" outsider gained unauthorized access to user files
> here via our Web server, and reported it to the sysadmins. I would have been
> mighty nervous if I'd been offering anon WWW access to the world.

I'd be happy to setup a machine at my providers site do run
a test of anonymized httpd.  From what I understand they wouldn't
mind helping either.

Within the next 6 months, there probably will be a number
of for pay anonymizer services availible on the net.  It just
makes too much sense for it to not happen.

Thread