1994-12-13 - Re: Clarification of my remarks about Netscape

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
Message Hash: b0da7bc5e9c36632435bf1f590afff928681fece835b21ce06bf2e52f81c19d1
Message ID: <9412131428.AA12085@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <199412130436.UAA26914@netcom4.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-13 14:29:38 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 06:29:38 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 06:29:38 PST
To: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
Subject: Re: Clarification of my remarks about Netscape

James A. Donald says:
> But reality is that they have produced by far the coolest browser
> there is, and they are bringing crypto to the masses, and you,
> and Eric Hughes, and most of us, have not yet brought crypto
> to the masses.
>
> Give them credit for doing what we have talked of doing, but
> have not actually done.

You claim we haven't done anything and Netscape has.

ftp.csua.berkeley.edu has the swIPe code sitting right on it.

Its being deployed by TIS in their new firewall products, and is being
used by others. I could have conducted the full PR campaign to get
people using it, but have chosen not to because I don't want to have
to later sell them on an (incompatible) IPSP packet format (which is
superior). I'm already working on hacking swIPe into IPSP.

Netscape looks foolish because they don't bother to look at other
people's work. I won't comment on you.

Perry

Thread