1994-12-06 - Re: One-shot remailer replies

Header Data

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b6b62d8f400c025023e2169fd35d2af776115419222bf3a04e2ca1cd1a1e76e5
Message ID: <199412061812.KAA23245@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Reply To: <01HKB4JDI40290QGGZ@delphi.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-06 18:13:17 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Dec 94 10:13:17 PST

Raw message

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 94 10:13:17 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: One-shot remailer replies

Mike Ingle <MIKEINGLE@delphi.com> writes:

>True, the path has to be there, or the message can't go. I can't think of a
>fix for that one, can you? Mostly I just don't want an endlessly growing
>amount of information out there. I want old information to die after a
>while, as keys are erased or expired.

No, I can't think of a fix, although your idea at the bottom might be
workable in some form.

>[ DH exchange / Key broadcast approach ]

>Broadcasting a list of keys is one possibility; what if someone else uses
>the same key? Birthday theorem makes this hard to prevent.

You would want some confirmation that you got the key you requested.  The
broadcasted key list could be updated to show which ones have been
reserved already, marked with a "nonce" (a one-time use secret random
number you sent with your request) to show who reserved them.  In this
case you might not even need to request a specific one, just ask for one
to be assigned to you and then look and see which one you got.  Of course
this assumes a broadcast mechanism but perhaps this is tolerable if there
aren't too many remailers.

>Pigeonhole holds a one-time reply address. Every week or two it expires and
>you send a new one. If a mail comes in, it uses it, and you send a new one.

You'd have to watch out for attackers who constantly ping the pigeonhole
address and try to see which messages leave the remailer network in a
correlated way.

>Methinks I'd make it a little more robust than the existing systems (easy
>with perl) like being able to grep out a reply header anywhere in the
>message, ignore > indentation, and similar safety precautions.

Yes, that is a good idea.  Many of the existing remailers are also
written in perl (calling PGP for decryption) but not much work has been
done to improve them in this way.  I think there is recognition that the
biggest security improvement would come with message quantizing (and not
passing subject lines through!) and until we have that the rest is
pretty pointless.

>RSAREF is useful for public key and DH. Secret sharing we have to get for
>ourselves. I looked at Shade v1.0, and it seems to be broken on
>little-endian machines. It works on an HP-UX machine, but fails on a
>PC running linux with small-endian enabled in shade.h. The half-hour setup
>delay is not encouraging, either. Your SECSPLIT is nice and simple, but each
>shade is the size of the message. What I need is an error-correcting
>protocol to build a no-growth secret splitter.

I have not looked at the Shade source.  Here is the posting I made to
cypherpunks on Krawczyk's method.  I wasn't very well organized but if
you read through to the end you may be able to get the gist of it:

> [...]
>
> He achieves this be foregoing "pure" information-theoretic secrecy in favor
> of "mere" computational secrecy.  This is a reasonable tradeoff since most
> implementations of Shamir sharing end up relying on computational secrecy
> for their random numbers, anyway.
>
> Krawczyk's idea, in the simple subset I am describing, is almost embarrassingly
> easy.  Take your message M and encrypt it using a random IDEA or DES key.
> Split the resulting cyphertext into N pieces (just carve it up) and give each
> piece to a shareholder.  Take the IDEA/DES key and Shamir-split it into
> N pieces and give those out as well.  (Shamir splitting for this case can
> be done simply by having N-1 of the pieces be totally random, and having
> the last piece be the xor of the IDEA/DES key and the N-1 random pieces.
> Only by xor'ing all N pieces can the original key be recovered.)
>
> Everyone ends up with slightly over M/N bits; they have M/N plus the size
> of a DES or IDEA key.  But that is pretty close.  And unless IDEA or DES can
> be broken they will have to recover all of the shares in order to recon-
> struct the key and read the message.
>
> For generalization to the K<N case you still use Shamir splitting on the
> IDEA or DES key, but the message itself gets split up using an error-cor-
> recting code concept so that K pieces are enough to reconstruct the message.
> This requires M/K bits per share, plus the overhead for the DES/IDEA key.
>
> This sounds like it would be a good enhancement to the Shamir splitting code
> that was posted here.  The IDEA or DES module could be a source of random
> bits for the Shamir splitting.  PGP's IDEA module is pretty self-contained
> and has a random-number entry point.
>
> (Oh, well, I've come this far, I might as well finish it.  The message
> distribution scheme Krawczyk gives is this: split the message into K
> pieces.  Treat each piece as the coefficient of a K-1 degree polynomial.
> Evaluate the polynomial at X=0,...,N-1 and let the results be the shares.
> Now any K of the shares will allow the polynomial to be reconstructed, and
> by concatenating the coefficients we recover M.  This is similar to Shamir's
> scheme but is not informationally secure and has shares of size M/K.)
>
> Hal

>>Considering all the pros and cons, I am afraid that even the security of
>>the one-shot return address is probably insufficient, especially when the
>>simple "post replies to usenet encrypted with this key" is so easy and
>>safe.  Granted it will be a problem once everybody starts doing that, but
>>flooding is going to be hard to beat for safety.

>Yes, broadcast is the most secure, but it has a fundamental problem:
>security scales linearly with bandwidth. If you have a pool of 100 users and
>one of them gets a message, your uncertainty is 1 in 100. I've tried without
>success to figure out a broadcast mechanism where security scales faster

This is true, but you said you are talking about things that can be done
today, and today Usenet already has a pool of probably a million users.
That is plenty of security.  The problem is if everyone starts using it
for their replies, but that won't be more than a drop in the bucket for a
long time.

>We need a mechanism where there is either a circulating data stream or a
>large file on a server. An incoming message alters the data somehow,
>diffusing the changes over a large area. A request for information selects
>out some transformation of the selected data in such a way that the server
>cannot correlate the incoming message with the outgoing message. I don't see
>any way to do this.

This is an interesting idea.  It is sort of like broadcast except you
would be reducing the bandwidth requirements by only sending certain
information to each user.  One way to formalize it would be to say that
you have two datasets, D1 and D2.  These get combined into D12 = f(D1,D2)
for some combinging function f.  Then we ask whether there is a g(D12)
which allows reconstruction of just D1 or D2 in such a way that we can't
tell which one it will get just from knowing f and g.  Plus, g must
output data which is no larger than D1 or D2.

In this strict form I don't think it can be done, because you could
change D1 and see if g(D12) changed.  If it did, then it was getting D1,
and if it didn't, it was getting D2.  However if we let g be a little
bigger then perhaps it wouldn't be so clear.  I don't know...

>Elimination of the replay traffic-analysis problem is major progress. As for
>step-by-step coercion back to the source, I don't see a fix, and we will
>probably have to live with that unless there is a major breakthrough.

Again, users may not be willing to live with it since they have an
alternative right now in usenet.

Hal

Thread