1994-12-03 - signature checking at the server

Header Data

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b8342d403b516580c714deda2be604d1ad652d0842ea3c96425dd8d8041bc69d
Message ID: <199412031801.KAA17339@largo.remailer.net>
Reply To: <199412022104.NAA17526@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-03 17:02:37 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 3 Dec 94 09:02:37 PST

Raw message

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 94 09:02:37 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: signature checking at the server

Unbelievably, I don't think this old canard has come up yet in this
discussion.

   I've always perceived
   PGP(Tm) as something I would use when I really had
   something sensitive to send a friend,

If you encrypt only some messages and not others, every use of
encryption will indicate that something significant is going on, which
is a first class message of its own.  Only if all messages to
particular correspondents are encrypted do you reveal no information
about importance.

Encryption still has benefit here, but the argument that it should
only be used when important has no merit.

Eric

Thread