1994-12-03 - Re: pgp / passphrase / capture / yikes!

Header Data

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b880f71330b6afd322578496434aab58a4bcf1ae7a9e1e2a74eb7f549209de6c
Message ID: <9412031903.AA07455@toxicwaste.media.mit.edu>
Reply To: <199412021900.LAA29951@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-03 19:04:06 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 3 Dec 94 11:04:06 PST

Raw message

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 94 11:04:06 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: pgp / passphrase / capture / yikes!

> just wondering , if i use pgp on my pc , and lets say while on my unix
> connection to the net i shell to dos to do encryption or decryption , does
> this compromise my security in any way ? can some admin catch my
> passphrase, i don think so , but i'm really fucken paranoid ! thanks for
> any answers felloe punks !

If you are dialed-up to a UNIX box using some terminal emulator, say
kermit, and you escape back to the local machine shell-escape to run
PGP, the SysAdmin on the UNIX side should not be able to read what you
say.

-derek

Thread