1994-12-13 - Re: Authentication vs encryption: CPs on the web

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com (Hal)
Message Hash: badc28862a665b3c5d923f37b9dd12c5193fa41a7aa533b233ad150103825beb
Message ID: <199412131851.NAA22099@bwnmr5.bwh.harvard.edu>
Reply To: <199412131744.JAA04700@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-13 18:52:50 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 10:52:50 PST

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 10:52:50 PST
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com (Hal)
Subject: Re: Authentication vs encryption: CPs on the web

	With all due respect, I disagree with your assessment.
Anonymity is a job, and we should build small tools to do jobs.  It is
my feeling that building anonymity into the web will make the
protocols more complex than they need to be.

	There is no anonymity in mail, but we have anonymous mail of
varying privacy.  I suspect mixmaster will greatly enhance that.  To
get privacy in the web, build a web remailer on top of the CERN or TIS
HHTPd proxies.  Encrypt between you & the proxy, let the proxy go out.

Adam

| This is IMO the standard cypherpunks wish list as applied to the WWW.
| But it does not seem to match up with either the commercial or
| institutional interests which are driving the standards process.  I
| hope those CP's who are involved in these efforts can work to spotlight
| the need for individual privacy.  We should give as much power, choice,
| and control as possible to the individual end-users of the web.
| Otherwise privacy is going to be very difficult to maintain in this
| world of electronic commerce.
|
| Hal Finney
| hfinney@shell.portal.com

						       -Hume