1994-12-20 - Re: c’punks top 5

Header Data

From: jrochkin@cs.oberlin.edu (Jonathan Rochkind)
To: Adam Shostack <entropy@IntNet.net (Jonathan Cooper)
Message Hash: cc4985d20e6a693f7918664df5fcf0b522ce8419db0466528fea1a81a226200c
Message ID: <ab1cf8d70402100423e5@[132.162.201.201]>
Raw Date: Tue, 20 Dec 94 13:10:33 PST

Raw message

From: jrochkin@cs.oberlin.edu (Jonathan Rochkind)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 94 13:10:33 PST
To: Adam Shostack <entropy@IntNet.net (Jonathan Cooper)
Subject: Re: c'punks top 5

At 3:30 PM 12/20/94, Adam Shostack wrote:
[> someone else I've lost wrote:]
>|   A proxy server for HTTP transport so that one could access the web
>| anonymously.  I don't think coding is the problem here; one could be
>| easily hacked out in perl, or you could use CERN HTTPD as a proxy
>| server.  I think the problem is finding someone who will offer up their
>| machine as a place to run this service.
>
>        It might also be nice to encrypt the connection from client to
>proxy.  Otherwise, this service only protects you from the server
>knowing who you are.  If you add encryption, then it begins to offer
>anonymity agianst people watching the proxy.  (Assuming there are
>multiple connections to the proxy.)
>
>Adam

Yeah, and ideally the software would allow "chaining" through several
anon-proxy-servers, similar to what you can do with the remailers.  I think
that would give you just about the most security you could expect from such
a set-up.

Thread