1994-12-07 - Re: (Fwd) Read this, Virus info!!

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
To: andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com (Andrew Lowenstern)
Message Hash: cdd47af0aa47350ade9fff8d0e38906554914bdc433eed502e5ec2a6062543c9
Message ID: <199412071844.NAA00693@hermes.bwh.harvard.edu>
Reply To: <9412071644.AA00278@ch1d157nwk>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-07 18:42:14 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 7 Dec 94 10:42:14 PST

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 94 10:42:14 PST
To: andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com (Andrew Lowenstern)
Subject: Re: (Fwd)      Read this, Virus info!!

andrew wrote:

| Anyway, it's more than possible, even when the designers didn't originally
| bargain for any type of 'enabled mail.'  And with the proliferation of
| Display PostScript based X servers and MIME mail tools, and other more
| advanced mail systems on other platforms, we will probably see much more of
| this type of thing.

	safe-tcl is designed to allow for enabled mail without opening
up many security holes like this.  Unfortunately, few people use
safe-tcl.  I suspect that a lot of this is becuase many of the people
who would get lots of benefit from safe tcl's basic functions (like
mail sorting) use procmail to do those basic functions.

Adam

						       -Hume

Thread