1994-12-15 - Re: properties of FV

Header Data

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@nsb.fv.com>
To: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Message Hash: cee5484259e35448458b487ea9943786d08eae6873e9973bdd0652e1e0d79fcc
Message ID: <giw_XSP0Eyt5RL_b0K@nsb.fv.com>
Reply To: <23696.787506983.1@nsb.fv.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-15 20:38:30 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 12:38:30 PST

Raw message

From: Nathaniel Borenstein <nsb@nsb.fv.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 94 12:38:30 PST
To: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Subject: Re: properties of FV

Excerpts from fv: 15-Dec-94 Re: properties of FV Eric
Hughes@remailer.net (3987)

> I'm not trying to imply that you couldn't cobble something up fairly
> quickly, but I have my doubts that a good quick hack will scale
> appropriately for even a modest sized operation.

Assuming that thing that you're "cobbling together" is based on a
reasonably robust database engine, it should scale a long, long way.
Basically all you need is a set of three-part records:  account-id,
cumulative amount, and timestamp of oldest transaction.  (You might want
a fourth field that gives all the purchasing details as text, if your
services sells a range of different kinds of things).  Any good
commercial db system should be able to handle a LOT of such records.

>    > The very nature
>    > of such a net billing system requires linkability of transaction to
>    > transaction, or in other words generates identity.  So FV is
>    > unsuitable for small value anonymous transactions.

> I would still like to you address this issue, if only to acknowledge
> the above characterization.

This goes back to the two kinds of anonymity that you so usefully
defined in your earlier message.  These small transactions would have
counterparty anonymity -- all that the seller knows is your first
virtual id, which is essentially a user-chosen pseudonym -- but not
issuer anonymity.

> As I had recalled from reading your materials, you were charging 29
> cents plus 2% on one leg of the transaction plus an additional 2% on
> the other.  Rereading, this is not the case.  Am I remembering a
> previous situation?

No, you're just confused.  Our charges have not changed, this is what
they've always been.  Probably our materials weren't clear enough
somewhere, in which case I apologize.

> Partial security is better than no security.

That's a *very* interesting statement.  I'm not at all sure what it
means, so I'm not sure if I believe it or not.  Sometimes partial
security is worse than no security because it gives people a false
*sense* of security.  (People who know their email is going in the clear
are likely to be more prudent than people who believe their email is
"encrypted" even though the encryption algorithm might be a very poor
one.  I've even known people to pass real secrets around using rot13,
amazingly enough.  People can be quite naive.)

> One of the underlying conceptual problems with allowing a key to be at
> risk is some sort of belief that compromises of secret keys should
> never ever EVER be allowed to happen.  This is ludicrous.  When the
> benefit of the use of a private key means that it might be
> compromised, don't rely upon it's not being compromised.

This is a very good point.  It is one that is often missed in analyses
of digital banks, in particular, where the consequences of compromising
the bank's keys are often not sufficiently considered.

> In particular, if a digital signature does not, by agreement, carry an
> implied warrantee of identity, then there's no problem at all.  Use
> the crypto entirely for transit security.  If someone hacks your
> machine and grabs your passphrase and forges a transaction, at least
> the intruder has to grab your passphrase.

This is exactly the way we would expect to use crypto layered on top of
First Virtual's protocols, if and when such cryptographic protocols are
deployed widely enough to have penetrated af meaningful portion of our
market.  -- Nathaniel

Thread