1994-12-23 - Re: Breaking into girlfriend’s files

Header Data

From: werewolf@io.org (Mark Terka)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: db4c3ef0372f320b2c07c80980ca95e30d7cfb1ebb6cb1eca631987f42506b18
Message ID: <h-c-kOwscwEQ075yn@io.org>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.941223153106.2289B-100000@eram.esi.com.au>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-23 07:06:38 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Dec 94 23:06:38 PST

Raw message

From: werewolf@io.org (Mark Terka)
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 94 23:06:38 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Breaking into girlfriend's files

In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.941223153106.2289B-100000@eram.esi.com.au>,
Dave Horsfall <dave@esi.COM.AU> wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Dec 1994, Mark Terka wrote:
>
>> GROAN! What the hell is this list about anyway?????? I think we are losing
>> perspective about encryption, privacy etc etc...
>                                ^^^^^^^
>You said it.

And the defense thereof.....

>> Putting it quite simply, the individual was asking about how to make an attack
>> on an opponent. Whether that opponent is a girlfriend, spouse, competitor or
>> terrorist group, who cares? Lets save the sermonizing for Ann Landers...what
>> state the relationship is irrelevant.
>
>And *HE* gave the reason - he wanted go rifling through his girlfriend's
>private files.  And here I was, thinking that this list was about "better
>privacy through cryptography" - I must have subscribed to alt.2600 by
>mistake...  Come to think of it, that's a better place for the original
>query...

Gee...I guess we shouldn't get too concerned when gov't agencies try to
break OUR communications on a large scale ...or maybe the cypherpunk
system of remailers were set up just as a hobby...

>> The gentleman asked a question regarding a standard cryptographic problem...
>> how you can intercept and interpret encrypted information, either in theory
>> in practice. To make judgement calls is WAY out of line and a hell of a bad
>> precedent for this group.
>
>Read it again - he specifically wanted to sneak into his partner's files;
>that is a clear invasion of privacy.  Jeeze - I thought a Yank would have
>understood this...

Sorry....I'm Canadian......and sure. He wanted to sneak into his partners
files. What a strange cryptographic concept that happens to be....

>> I bet the poster would have gotten a more sympathetic response if he said he
>> had gotton his hands on a diplomatic cable....
>
>And would you have been just as sympathetic if somebody wanted to rifle
>YOUR files?

Yup! Alls fair in luv...or WAR! If you aren't prepared to play the game,
then stay at home!!

>> Oh boy! Pretty soon we will have this list as "cypherpunks giving advice to
>> the lovelorn..."!!! Lets cut the crap, stick to the problem at hand and
>> offer solutions to what the participants of the list know best, namely the
>> the use and analysis of cryptographic problems.
>
>That has nothing to do with it - person A wanted advice on how to invade
>person B's privacy (he presumably doesn't have the guts to just ask her).
>Sorry, but privacy works both ways - she's entitled to it just as much
>as anybody else.

Just like the Japanese were entitled to THEIR privacy before Midway, eh?

Thread