1994-12-27 - PGP at MacWorld Expo?

Header Data

From: crawford@scruznet.com (Michael D. Crawford)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f5df6ff61fab95caed9289221ea2ab5a6e51a7b725cc65450409c0dbc45f7a83
Message ID: <199412270328.TAA24759@scruz.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 26 Dec 94 19:28:41 PST

Raw message

From: crawford@scruznet.com (Michael D. Crawford)
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 94 19:28:41 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PGP at MacWorld Expo?

The MacWorld Expo is coming up soon in San Francisco, I believe from the
4th through the 7th of January.

There must be _someone_ on this list who works for a company or user group
that will be exhibiting (I know for sure the Berkeley Macintosh User's
Group always exhibits, as does the Boston Computer Society).

Do the world a favor.  Distribute PGP from your booth.  This being the
MacWorld Expo, you'll need mostly Mac disks, but you would want to have
some Unix and DOS disks on hand as well.  Have flyers about the
Digital Telephony Bill, to clue in the legislatively impaired.

Imagine what a crowd you'll draw to your booth with a sign reading
"Unbreakable encryption software - just $3 a disk".  You might even make
headlines in the trade rags or the SF newspapers.

Certainly BMUG and BCS already have the "infrastructure" to sell freeware
disks.  But any of your companies out there would do well to sell freeware
disks too.

I understand, from my own experience of working at MacWorld (no, I won't be
exhibiting...), that one of the biggest objections to this will be simply
dealing with getting the disks duped and labeled, getting them to the show
floor, and dealing with the large number of people who will be purchasing
the disks and needing you to make change.  This could be no small amount of
impact on your booth operations.  Another option is to offer PGP free with
any purchase of your regular product, or to just distribute flyers about
the DT bill with instructions for obtaining PGP from the Internet and
online services.

Regards,

Michael D. Crawford
crawford@scruznet.com     <- Please note change of address.