1995-01-23 - Markoff/NYT on IP spoofing

Header Data

From: Brian A. LaMacchia <bal@martigny.ai.mit.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 11c9f2bed2d018999889f30738ad49124c8de4e0b90a3aeb2f71aeb2d585d3aa
Message ID: <9501230617.AA20253@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Jan 95 22:18:02 PST

Raw message

From: Brian A. LaMacchia <bal@martigny.ai.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 95 22:18:02 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Markoff/NYT on IP spoofing

John Markoff writes in Monday's New York Times about a rash of computer
security breaches using IP spoofing to penetrate routers and firewalls.
That's all the technical info I coudld glean from the story; CERT is
supposed to "make an announcement" later today and tell us what brands
of routers can and cannot be modified to defend against this type of
attack.

Towards the end of the article Markoff puts in a nice plug for crypto:

      Most computer security experts say that real security on the
   Internet awaits the widespread adoption of encryption technology
   for scrambling data and authenticating messages.
      ``The right answer is encryption because when you encrypt your
   business data you don't care how many people get a copy,'' said
   Eric Schmidt, the chief technical officer of Sun Microsystems. ``My
   prediction is that this will be the only real solution to these
   problems.''

					--bal

Thread