1995-01-29 - Re: DONT READ – Continuing James Donald flamewar

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 13313adf4969874d08d04e920709fdd625781b80f86263b7304e25b3d948cc7a
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9501291438.A12603-0100000@netcom4>
Reply To: <9501280307.AA20529@snark.imsi.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-29 23:33:40 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 29 Jan 95 15:33:40 PST

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 95 15:33:40 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: DONT READ -- Continuing James Donald flamewar

Notice that my thread title -- was humorous and self mocking
"Even more holy wars on unix", and that the
articles that I posted were very funny.

Whereas Perry -- the salesman who refused to take
yes for ananswer when dealing with Netscape --  is
filled with passionate rage.

What is up Perry -- do you have piles, or is the
sawdust and chickenshit diet putting your temper
on a short fuse?

One can reasonably argue, as he is now arguing,
that unix is a good modern development environment.
I think he is wrong -- I was amused at how unix folk
were impressed at how I casually put up windows gui
interface for a throwaway program that would
only be used once.

But it is a position that a rational person could
reasonably believe, and might reasonably argue if
this was the GUI development list and not the
cypherpunks list.

But to claim, as some have claimed, that unix is
as user friendly as Windows or the Mac, when
suitably configured -- is a sign of utter irrationality
that shows that those who assert such a fantastic claim
are incapable or rational thought or rational
discussion on the topic.

The letters I have received also give ample evidence that
those who hold this view are incapable of rational
discussion on the matter.

The Holy bible attitude to unix is illustrated by the
fact that the most flagrant and outrageous unix bugs
are held to be correct behavior by definition --
"Unix does this, therefore it is right, and if you
destroy your files as a result of this behavior then
unix is right, and you are wrong."

Now one can argue that unix has bugs and DOS has
bugs, but unix people, or at least those of them
so irrational as to make the claim that Unix is
user friendly, confronted with a unix bug, proclaim
that the bug is is right, and DOS is wrong for not
having the bug.

For example I received numerous letters arguing that the
the unix "mv" command is more powerful than the separate
DOS "replace" and "rename" commands.

This is like arguing that a combination hairbrush and
chainsaw is more powerful than having two separate
tools, one a hairbrush and one a chainsaw.  One can
plausibly claim that such a tool is indeed powerful,
but that is hardly the point.

-

We have the right to defend ourselves     |   http://www.catalog.com/jamesd/
and our property, because of the kind     |
of animals that we are. True law          |   James A. Donald
derives from this right, not from the     |
arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.  |   jamesd@netcom.com

Thread