1995-01-12 - Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

Header Data

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1f96f052f291d8fdc5c31de709935b86ddda6069d0e53315c6875060fa346388
Message ID: <199501122252.OAA01584@largo.remailer.net>
Reply To: <199501121701.JAA24309@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-12 22:54:26 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 14:54:26 PST

Raw message

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 14:54:26 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

   From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>

   The idea of offsite storage doesn't seem that helpful since you can just
   store the data on your own disk in encrypted form.

I'll tell you one really useful facility for offsite storage, and
that's private key backup.  Use a secret sharing arrangement, say 5
out of 7 reconstruction, and send out 7 chunks.  Now, give a different
pointer-to-chunk to each of 7 different people.  In the case of
catastrophe, you can recover your key.

Too paranoid not to let your key out of your sight?  Then don't do
this.

Here's another use.  I'd like to interlock offsite backup with my
digital money withdrawals, so that my money is always backed up.

Let's be clear; the code that dfloyd@io.com is working on is offsite
storage in a reasonably secure form.  It's not a data haven.

Eric

Thread