1995-01-13 - Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

Header Data

From: lce@wwa.com (Larry E)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 35a3690c0b16bd8652e59601d5c1be4d6dfc26d4f05d23a5cc301ffec8581af1
Message ID: <N3V5lG9s1WC8075yn@wwa.com>
Reply To: <9501130137.AA03281@eri.erinet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-13 03:49:37 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 19:49:37 PST

Raw message

From: lce@wwa.com (Larry E)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 19:49:37 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

In article <9501130137.AA03281@eri.erinet.com>,
pstemari@erinet.com (Paul J. Ste. Marie) wrote:
> At 10:08 PM 1/11/95 -0800, Eric Hughes wrote:
> > ... Seems to me that a quite reasonable condition of use of a remailer is
> >that what is passed isn't human readable.
>
> Perhaps I missed this, but why?  If someone is going to plant kiddie porn or
> whatever on you, does it really matter if they encrypt it first or not?

The goal is to convince the two groups of concerned parties that the
remailer operators don't know the contents of what's passing through
their remailers:

         (1) the people who use the remailer, who get a measure of
             comfort from knowing their communication is secure

         (2) legal groups etc. who may try to hold the remailer
             liable in some way for what passes through their remailer.

A large percentage of material that passes through remailers might
be offensive to SOMEONE---if even just because an unpopular opinion
is expressed.

The remailers are operated by people who want to promote information
flow, not restrict it.  They provide an important service that is of
critical importance to some people and groups who use the net.  They
shouldn't be held accountable for the few who abuse the remailers,
and encryption helps prevent that from happening.

Thread