1995-01-12 - Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

Header Data

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 38b66e1a6a3e5d79d310cea6b0c6d3948893a88198cf11a81d9dcba4608d7c04
Message ID: <199501121608.IAA00812@largo.remailer.net>
Reply To: <ab3a75370402100421a8@[132.162.201.201]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-12 16:09:33 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 08:09:33 PST

Raw message

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 08:09:33 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

   Of course, we're not just dealing with text.  So the scheme has got to be
   changed a bit so as to be able to detect unencrypted GIFs, and mu-law
   files, and as yet to be determined unknown files.

Each of these data formats has it's own regex recognizers available.
Just apply them.

The point, though, is to enforce the presumption that the remailer
operator does not, in fact, look at the traffic in order to understand
the content.  You don't need a completely airtight algorithm in order
to do this.

Eric

Thread