1995-01-25 - Re: LOCKSMITH’S GUILD WANTS L

Header Data

From: Mark Grant <mark@unicorn.com>
To: Charles Bell <quester@eskimo.com>
Message Hash: 3a20a6bc7a2c10d29ee601022b5ad3ef58fbdc997600085b5a760a5813de374d
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9501251635.A18687-0100000@unicorn.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 25 Jan 95 08:19:46 PST

Raw message

From: Mark Grant <mark@unicorn.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 95 08:19:46 PST
To: Charles Bell <quester@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: LOCKSMITH'S GUILD WANTS L

On Wed, 25 Jan 1995, Charles Bell wrote:

> how do
> we ensure that those skyscrapers don't fall down on us?  That the surgeon
> who is going to open me up knows something about surgery?  That my money
> is at least somewhat safe in the bank?

With non-government reptutation and certification agencies. Currently the
government is saying 'there shall be one certification agency and it shall
be us', whereas personally if I were hiring someone to design a skyscraper
or cut me open I'd much prefer to pick someone who had a good rating from
three or four independent agencies.

The only difference is that you would have the choice of choosing someone
cheap who didn't have a good reputation, not that we'd give up on them
altogether (see the numerous past discussions of reputations etc on the
list, and the Cyphernomicon).

> ....once we get past what seems to be your utter refusal to consider
> the possibility that government could ever do anything right ....

Another thing to consider is that the government monopoly has a lot less
to lose by certifying people incorrectly than a commercial agency would.
The government's reputation is low enough already that such errors won't
affect it significantly, whereas a commercial agency would lose a lot of
custom to its competitors.

		Mark

Thread