1995-01-12 - Re: CBS/C.Chung Plan Hit Job on Internet? (fwd)

Header Data

From: Thomas Grant Edwards <tedwards@src.umd.edu>
To: Brad Parsons <parsons@bga.com>
Message Hash: 3bc1357f56dad27a8dc1ae3623266bec149b290c9744f70b8adde56b6cfcda65
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950112091617.4507C-100000@riemann.src.umd.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9501120547.A11756-0100000@ivy.bga.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-12 14:20:29 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 06:20:29 PST

Raw message

From: Thomas Grant Edwards <tedwards@src.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 06:20:29 PST
To: Brad Parsons <parsons@bga.com>
Subject: Re: CBS/C.Chung Plan Hit Job on Internet? (fwd)

On Thu, 12 Jan 1995, Brad Parsons wrote:

> From: Skip Leuschner <skipl@pacifier.com>

> I see C.Chung's program as one of the first vollies in a new phase of a
> TV/print media project.

> Internet and talk radio emerged as political forces in the '94
> election.  If political influence by the media is a zero-sum game, as I
> believe it is, then the TV and print media must look to their own
> survival by trying to discredit or regulate their talk radio/internet
> competition.

Clearly.  I think Time magazine, as they come onto the Internet, is
realizing that the culture here does not take well to bogus and
misleading journalism.  The Time reporter who wrote the article on the
modern militia movement in the US asked on talk.politics.guns what people
thought about his article - oh my, you've never seen such a flamefest!
Not to mention the immense amount of pro-firearm opinions on the Time WWW
talkback area.  For a magazine which has publically announced that they
are anti-RKBA, I think they are viewing all of this with some dismay.

That is only a single issue - I think as more standard media groups come
on-line, they will have to choose either to try to destroy the net
through demonizing it, or change with it into an adaptive reporting
system with traditional journalistic ethics.

-Thomas

Thread