1995-01-27 - Even more unix holy war. Was “Clinton freezes U.S. assets ..”

Header Data

From: jamesd@com.informix.com
To: N/A
Message Hash: 44af2258736721d53ef67d1e35f92e5dbcc4fe2ab81303a77ec9021aaf2c5126
Message ID: <9501270512.AA00309@carbon.informix.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 21:12:01 PST

Raw message

From: jamesd@com.informix.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 21:12:01 PST
Subject: Even more unix holy war. Was "Clinton freezes U.S. assets .."

And did I mention that in DOS you can type
   rename *.txt *.asc
to turn all *.txt files into the corresponding *.asc file

but that if in unix you type
   mv *.txt *.asc
not only will it not rename your *.txt files to be *.asc files, but
if you have only two *.txt files it will silently destroy the
second and issue no warning that anything has gone amiss.

Hell, it is only the users data -- stupid user, he can type
it in again.

And of course I have already mentioned the unix "make" utility.

We have the right to defend ourselves     |   http://www.catalog.com/jamesd/
and our property, because of the kind     |
of animals that we are. True law          |   James A. Donald
derives from this right, not from the     |
arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.  |   jamesd@netcom.com

Thread