1995-01-07 - Re: for-pay remailers and FV

Header Data

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 44d4da7496402da4e3bbc3823a7d918d366c87cdcd2ba51e515f6db78e7f4613
Message ID: <199501070428.UAA21189@largo.remailer.net>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9501061816.A25172-0100000@netcom10>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-07 04:28:32 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 6 Jan 95 20:28:32 PST

Raw message

From: eric@remailer.net (Eric Hughes)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 95 20:28:32 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: for-pay remailers and FV

   From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@netcom.com>

   On Fri, 6 Jan 1995, Eric Hughes wrote:
   > This whole fracas between blind-sig money and FV money is a symptom of
   > the confusion between clearing and settlement.

   It is nothing to do with that confusion.

Keep your day job.

   > To wit, a remailer consortium would do best to issue a local banknote
   > usable only by themselves and have customers settle with the
   > consortium issuer, rather than any member of the consortium itself.
   > If the consortium issuer were to use blind sigs, the consortium
   > members wouldn't be able to ascertain who paid.

Get it?  The first sentence refers to a "local banknote".  The second
sentence refers to a particular way of issuing that banknote.  Passage
from the general to the specific.

   The problem that we are discussing is how to solve them
   without using Chaumian money.

Think about how a local clearing organization allows this.

Eric

Thread