1995-01-14 - Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

Header Data

From: daleh@ix.netcom.com (Dale Harrison (AEGIS))
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4555b0f01ea08637e564f6cab2953aae4e40d0f8f559b5daf6508a0e4d924b64
Message ID: <199501140259.SAA13236@ix3.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 13 Jan 95 19:00:20 PST

Raw message

From: daleh@ix.netcom.com (Dale Harrison (AEGIS))
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 95 19:00:20 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

You wrote:

>Fine.  The operator has no idea of how to make sense of this data
>format.  Just because someone in the world has an interpretation for
>it doesn't mean that I do.

The primary point that I'm trying to make is that there is no such thing
as an algorithmic test for a dataset being in a 'state' of encryption.
Such a test is beyond alogrithmic capability (at least in our universe).
Therefore, an RM/DH operator should just drop the pretense of filtering
out non-encyphered submissions.  Just take what comes and tell customers
that if they don't want you to read it, it's up to _them_ to make
certain that you can't.  Period!  The DH operator could encypher all
submissions with his own key so that the DH contents can't be
compromised to outsiders.  This seems to be a much more real-world
approach to the problem than tilting at windmill with encryption
filters.  (The previous examples were an attempt to demonstrate, in a
concrete way, the failure of any such algorithmic approach. Whatever
encryption-test algorithm you come up with I guarentee you I can defeat
it!)

Dale H.

Thread