1995-01-10 - Re: Data Haven problems

Header Data

From: Nesta Stubbs <nesta@nesta.pr.mcs.net>
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 461b139ebf8244df9f5b6810b4fbfffe4613f33000b56c27a7c3f48b25adbde4
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9501101025.B12534-0100000@nesta.pr.mcs.net>
Reply To: <199501101418.JAA08782@cutter.clas.ufl.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-10 16:51:29 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 10 Jan 95 08:51:29 PST

Raw message

From: Nesta Stubbs <nesta@nesta.pr.mcs.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 95 08:51:29 PST
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: Data Haven problems

On Tue, 10 Jan 1995, Avi Harris Baumstein wrote:

> dfloyd@io.com writes:
>
> >My problem is not that people will bitch about my DH.  My problem will
> >be arfholes or yellow journalists uploading K*dd*e p**n to my DH, then
> >making a long report how I cater to p*dofiles and other evil denezins
> >that pop from time to time.  Then, I get the police knocking at my
> >door, asking me to come to Club Fed for a looooonnnggg vacation.
>
> well i remember a suggestion a while back to only accept encrypted
> files. i don't remember who made the suggestion, but this seems like a
> good idea for several reasons:

I like this too, it keeps the data safe not only in transit, but also on
the site itself.  So I don't have to re-encrypt files, they are alredy
crypted, and signed(another good bonus) by the sender or account holder.

> 2) you will have no idea *what* is stored, and absolutely no way of
> finding out, even if you wanted to. you should advertise this feature
> widely.

depends on how it is encrypted, if they encrypt it too the datahaven,
using your public key, that argument won't work, BUT if they are suing it
as a anon drop box, then they can encypt it to another publik key of the
recipient(an anon key of course) and oyu would never be abl to read it.
This is a good feature of a data-haven, one that may be able to produce
profit int eh future if tha is a motive.

Thread