1995-01-12 - Re: Multiple symetric cyphers

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@netcom.com>
To: “L. Todd Masco” <cactus@seabsd.hks.net>
Message Hash: 46e3e42fc5c5f53d0087a855916a1dec8b4022b31d0a0f584ea06cc7996baeb1
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9501120931.A15243-0100000@netcom10>
Reply To: <199501120607.BAA19021@bb.hks.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-12 18:04:26 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 10:04:26 PST

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 10:04:26 PST
To: "L. Todd Masco" <cactus@seabsd.hks.net>
Subject: Re: Multiple symetric cyphers

On Thu, 12 Jan 1995, L. Todd Masco wrote:
> Isn't it?  If an attacker does not know what cipher is used and breaking
> each is computationally expensive (though not prohibitively so) doesn't
> that add extra complexity?

The increase in strength, if each cypher was roughly equal,
is merely order n, where n is the number of cyphers.

If, as is likely, one of the cyphers required a billionfold
less power to break than the others, you have decreased
strength by an enormous factor.

The way to increase strength is to use a cypher, such
as IDEA, which has a large key.  Key size will increase
strength by a factor of billions, not a factor of n.

Current key sizes are such that computationally expensive
attacks do not work on symmetric cyphers.  An attack has to
be clever.

We have the right to defend ourselves and our
property, because of the kind of animals that we    http://nw.com/jamesd/
are.  True law derives from this right, not from    James A. Donald
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.        jamesd@netcom.com

Thread