1995-01-12 - Re: Storm Signals

Header Data

From: Dave Horsfall <dave@esi.COM.AU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5e1c5101c0f4a08abb1f16754943ac46a02969fc357a9c6486d64b1a820cda67
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950112105756.26382B-100000@eram.esi.com.au>
Reply To: <199501111859.AA02457@poboy.b17c.ingr.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-12 00:01:22 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Jan 95 16:01:22 PST

Raw message

From: Dave Horsfall <dave@esi.COM.AU>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 95 16:01:22 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Storm Signals

On Wed, 11 Jan 1995, Paul Robichaux wrote:

> If I were the DOD, I would set the standard GPS default to selective
> availability. After all, with SA on military receivers can still get
> fine positioning data. If someone could come up with a good reason to
> turn SA off, great, but I wouldn't leave it on otherwise.

This gets discussed to death over on the sci.geo.satellite-nav group.
The consensus is that you don't want to advertise your intentions, but
political considerations have always overridden practicalities.

> The scenarios concerning GPS-piloted Cessnas full of nasty stuff come
> to mind, especially vis-a-vis the North Koreans. They probably don't
> have accurate IRBMs but they certainly could cobble together a
> Learjet-based delivery system.

This too gets discussed to death over on the sci.geo.satellite-nav group.
The consensus is that a car-bomb is cheaper and more reliable, and needs
nothing more than a street-directory for navigation.

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU) | dave@esi.com.au | VK2KFU @ VK2AAB.NSW.AUS.OC | PGP 2.6
Opinions expressed are mine. | E7 FE 97 88 E5 02 3C AE  9C 8C 54 5B 9A D4 A0 CD

Thread