1995-01-09 - (fwd) Re: Racism on the Internet

Header Data

From: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
To: digitaliberty@phantom.com
Message Hash: 5e6c2f53233884331450db16904b32c285941299da8321d346dc956a046539f4
Message ID: <199501092317.PAA08453@netcom5.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 9 Jan 95 15:19:01 PST

Raw message

From: jamesd@netcom.com (James A. Donald)
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 95 15:19:01 PST
To: digitaliberty@phantom.com
Subject: (fwd) Re: Racism on the Internet

From: mpdillon@halcyon.com (Michael Dillon)
Newsgroups: alt.internet.services,alt.internet.media-coverage
Subject: Re: Racism on the Internet
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 18:11:51 +0000

This is forwarded from can.infohighway. Note the quote from Rutkowski
at the bottom. This info should be more generally know on the net.

In article <18570UODGFHLRSDHOUP@curvet.com>, dshaw@curvet.com wrote:

> IN>ae763@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Harvey Goldberg) writes:
>
> >I work for the Canadian Human Rights Commission.
> >I am currently doing research on the use of the
> >Internet for the propagation of hate material.
> >The purpose of the research is to determine what
> >measures could be considered to control the use
> >of the Net for this type of purpose.
>
> >I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has
> >any views, information or comments on this
> >subject or who know of anywhere on the Internet
> >where this matter is discussed.
>
> According to Tony Rutkowski, Executive Director of the Internet
> Society, "The Internet from a regulatory standpoint falls into the
> category of private value-added networks, and in most countries under
> the treaty provisions of the ITU, as well as the GATT, these are
> networks that are outside the purview of government. To the extent
> that there is any kind of obligation by governments, it is to allow
> such networks to exist on a competitive basis". <Internet World,
> January 1995>.

Cool cats, brick bats, bad boys wearin' big hats
Surf's up, my cup, floating, flying, rising up.

Michael Dillon                    mpdillon@halcyon.com
C-4 Powerhouse, RR #2             michael@junction.net

Thread