1995-01-16 - Re: Jude Milhon in WIRED

Header Data

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5e900f41405c13f044bb37827ac3fb4365d903823170523b0ad5937ed9e99e4e
Message ID: <199501162024.MAA21177@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 16 Jan 95 12:24:53 PST

Raw message

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 95 12:24:53 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Jude Milhon in WIRED

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
> General insults, or political statements, are of course kosher, but
> making any kind of snide remarks about Joe Foobar, for example, will
> often result in these comments being fed to the at person. (I recently
> made some comments here on this list about a public Net person, whom I
> do not believe is or was subscribed...a few days later I got a
> note from this person objecting to my characterization of his views! I
> am assuming someone forwarded the traffic to him.)

I felt the same way recently.  I had commented here about elec cash
prodigy Stefan Brands being among those not getting into the DigiCash demo,
it got cross-posted to www-buyinfo (which is read by DigiCash people) and
led to a big political stink that may have set back relations between
Brands and Chaum and therefore the prospects for high-quality digital
cash.  I really regretted my words as it was certainly not my intention
to stir up bad blood.  I still tend to think of this list as a relatively
private place to make comments "just among friends", unlike more public
venues which feed into a wider cross-section of views and where I try to
be much more circumspect.

Hal

Thread