1995-01-02 - (Fwd) Re Anonymous posting

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 61c9db4f8a006afd08f98b26e4896611e1f06ac07ffb2b7dc4d939f98ab58939
Message ID: <199501021826.NAA11086@pipe2.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 2 Jan 95 10:26:08 PST

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 95 10:26:08 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: (Fwd) Re Anonymous posting

For those interested in the anonymity issue there is a lively
debate on list Cyberia-L (a legal list) which was stimulated,
in part, by Peter Lewis's articles on anonymity and the
LaMacchia case dismissal.

For participation send message to:

     listserv@listserv.cc.wm.edu

     subscribe cyberia-l Your name

Provocatively, I forward the following:

Forwarding mail by: jsilverm@reach.com (Jared Silverman -- NJ
Bureau of Sec. - Newark) on Mon, 2 Jan 11:58 AM
-------------------

On January 1, 1995, Buford Terrell wrote:

>Anonymity is very much a core 1st Amendment value and at the
>center  of both political speech and the right to assemble.
[Snip]
>Often times, the only way weak or unpopular minorites can
speak
>is anonymously.  There have been many times when to couple
one's
>name to one's writings would be to invite martyrdom.  I had
>rather  risk a few perverts than to stifle this most important
>channel for dissent.

It is one thing to claim First Amendment protection to shield
political speech, IMHO it is another to shield fraud and
criminal  behavior.

Besides the First Amendment runs against the government, not in
 favor of individuals in actions brought by private parties.
In  the sexism thread, would anyone claim that an individual
has the  right to harass or stalk a person under the guise of
the First  Amendment?  Would the First Amendment be a defense
in a defamation  suit?  Of course not (Times v. Sullivan
aside).  Doesn't an  individual have the right to know the
identity of someone who is  trying to communicate with him/her
on a private basis?  To a  certain extent, the question was
crystallized in the caller ID  debate -- Who has the superior
right, the calling party to anonymity or the called party to
knowing who is calling?

One of the areas of my professional concern is the use of
cyberspace for securities fraud and manipulation.  Cyberspace
is  an ideal medium for these activities because of the
availability  of anonymity and pseudonymity.  Even on
commercial BBSs, where  "member lists" are available, posting
to these lists is voluntary  and those who draw my attention
are rarely on these lists.  Does  all of cyberspace become off
limits to conventional private rights  and law enforcement
under the rubric of "freedom of speech and  assembly?"

|--------------------------------------------------------------|
 |A. Jared Silverman, Chief-New Jersey Bureau of Securities
|  |jsilverm@reach.com | 201-504-3600 (phone) | 201-504-3601
(fax)|

 |The foregoing is the personal opinion of the sender and is
not|  |the official position of either the Bureau of Securities
or   |  |the New Jersey Attorney General and the Department of
Law and |  |Public Safety.  Affiliation given for
identification only.    |

Thread