1995-01-20 - Re: IRS to keep unreviewable secret dossiers on US citizens

Header Data

From: xpat@vm1.spcs.umn.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 66e6424ae3f689f123226ca270ad150e61180f844bd10b5ea7c3cbb0520a37aa
Message ID: <9501202045.AA10950@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 20 Jan 95 12:46:08 PST

Raw message

From: xpat@vm1.spcs.umn.edu
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 95 12:46:08 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: IRS to keep unreviewable secret dossiers on US citizens

perry@imsi.com says:
>xpat@vm1.spcs.umn.edu says:
>> Excerpts from : St Paul Pioneer Press, Jan 29, 1995
>>
>> Here's the kicker: "Although agency officials concede that some of
>> the data collected will be inaccurate, taxpayers will not be allowed
>> to review or correct it"                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>The privacy act and FOIA make that more or less illegal -- if they are
>keeping information on you, with certain law enforcement related
>exceptions they have to let you see it.

I should add that later in the article it suggests the scenario of
select information from the database being used in an audit, and
you would be able to contest the specific information they use
against you, but you would not be able to view any of the raw data.
                     ^^^^^^^^^
It sounds like this amounts to "we don't have the info until we use
it against you".

P M Dierking |

Thread