1995-01-30 - UNIX bashing?

Header Data

From: paul@hawksbill.sprintmrn.com (Paul Ferguson)
To: daleh@ix.netcom.com (Dale Harrison (AEGIS))
Message Hash: 6760cea69d55ba14fda5da5a3134f5de334db9e7d26919e61bed4ebde54b72f4
Message ID: <9501300437.AA20704@hawksbill.sprintmrn.com>
Reply To: <199501300427.UAA21533@ix3.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-30 04:38:39 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 29 Jan 95 20:38:39 PST

Raw message

From: paul@hawksbill.sprintmrn.com (Paul Ferguson)
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 95 20:38:39 PST
To: daleh@ix.netcom.com (Dale Harrison (AEGIS))
Subject: UNIX bashing?

> I don't mean to toss gasoline onto this fire, but......

Too late...

> Unix as we know has a vanishingly small probability of ever becoming
> 'mainstream'. There's a two-orders-of-magnitude gap between the installed
> base of Dos/Windows and that of Unix. That gap has grown, not marrowed
> over time. This is however no reflection on the obvious technical merits
> of Unix. Market dominance is based not on technical superiority, but
> rather on technical sufficiency. Once an OS acheives technical
> sufficiency any further technical improvements will have a diminishing
> marginal effect on that OS's market performance. Once the OS is
> technically sufficient, non-technical factors begin to dominate. The
> market failure of WinNT is a classic example of this. Its failure is
> unrelated to its technical merits (or lack thereof), but rather on
> econmic and social factors the even a company withe the marketing muscle
> of MicroSoft has not yet been able to overcome. (OS/2 is of course an
> example of an even more dismal, perhaps terminal, failure for many of the
> same reasons.)

UNIX is a _networking_ OS, in my mind, above and beyond anything else
which the 'mainstream' may desire.

If I want Excel, Word or Powerpoint, I'll use my PC (which is completely
compatible, via PPP, and able to exchange data) to work within these
obviously proprietary formats. :-)

Microsoft hasn't really made any attempt to enbrace the UNIX community.

Why should we emmrace Microsoft?

- paul

Paul Ferguson
US Sprint                                          tel: 703.689.6828
Managed Network Engineering                   internet: paul@hawk.sprintmrn.com
Reston, Virginia  USA                             http://www.sprintmrn.com

Thread