1995-01-03 - calls for regulation

Header Data

From: Nesta Stubbs <nesta@nesta.pr.mcs.net>
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 6a787aaa91de6f5b360be4bab1dc637d6eed5952fafb6238f8211d7cb280671d
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9501031601.A517-0100000@nesta.pr.mcs.net>
Reply To: <ab2f9292150210048e24@[128.174.91.111]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-03 22:37:58 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Jan 95 14:37:58 PST

Raw message

From: Nesta Stubbs <nesta@nesta.pr.mcs.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 95 14:37:58 PST
To: Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: calls for regulation

	This is pretty scary, I mean it always sat in the back of my mind
that they would attemt to rgulate the net, and to pass legislation and
all, but now that it is rearing it's head and looks like there is going
to be a push for it, I am actually concerned, to teh point of fear
almost.  Not a paralyzing fear, but a definite feeling that action is
neccesary now to either head it off, or provide for alternative forms of
communication on the Net if it does come.  Thank goodness the cypherpunks
have been working on crypto, it is at least deployed enough now that any
attempt to control that would entail drastic measures, like REALLY
drastic.

	I think perhaps we should make a concerted effort to alert eh
rest of the net of these happenings, and to tell them to contact their
legislators and such to try and stop it, or at least attempt to stop the
hystericism that these articles will drum up in congress.  Perhaps
someone will be kind enough to write "newsletter" or a post to be spread
throught usenet and other BBS's and mailing lists(under control, not
spamming or anything) that alerts people on what is happening, and what
they can do about it. I am afraid I am to inexperienced as a writer of
such things, I could do it, but i am sure that others here would do much
better jobs of it, and thus influence mroe action from the people on the
net.

get on your boots fellas, load your guns too.  Loks like a war is
starting up, or is it a police action 8)

i want to know everything          http://www.mcs.com/~nesta/home.html
i want to be everywhere                     Nesta's Home Page
i want to fuck everyone in the world               &
i want to do something that matters         /-/ a s t e zine

Thread