1995-01-27 - Re: “Subway” remailers

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
To: xpat@vm1.spcs.umn.edu
Message Hash: 6f50b626d1fc32afe46dac719073aeb2842a62e69c2210a9232b4e05ce4d26ce
Message ID: <199501270556.AAA02671@bwh.harvard.edu>
Reply To: <9501262213.AA23510@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-27 05:56:47 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 21:56:47 PST

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 21:56:47 PST
To: xpat@vm1.spcs.umn.edu
Subject: Re: "Subway" remailers

	The idea is a very good one, its usually called "link
encryption."  The idea is to make it difficult to tell when someone is
using a line by filling that line with random noise that looks like
encrypted data.

	Making a remailer do this is an interesting idea.  Perhaps a
subscription facility, so you can ask a remailer to send you X
messages per day, with X higher than your anticipated traffic?
Alternately, you could get roughly X messages per day, so a small
overflow wouldn't show up at once.

Adam

| "Subway" remailers would exchange identical sized "containers", much
| like a subway at semi-regular pulses or intervals. It would require
| a ring of remailers large enough (yeah, I know) to make traffic analysis
| of entrance and exit points difficult and/or expensive.

						       -Hume

Thread