1995-01-03 - Re: Exporting cryptographic materials, theory vs. practice

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@netcom.com>
To: nobody@rahul.net
Message Hash: 6f7cf779e1e045b80defecee3634805bedecf720e38f4e3852f7ded25311b32c
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9501021805.A19801-0100000@netcom8>
Reply To: <199501021725.AA09061@bolero.rahul.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-03 02:57:12 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 2 Jan 95 18:57:12 PST

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 95 18:57:12 PST
To: nobody@rahul.net
Subject: Re: Exporting cryptographic materials, theory vs. practice

On Mon, 2 Jan 1995 nobody@rahul.net wrote:
> Doesn't Matt's experience really show simply that not enough people try
> to follow the rules, [...]
>
> [...]
>
> I could see a system where you routinely fill out and have your card
> stamped when you check your luggage to show that you are carrying crypto.
> Then you turn it in when you come back.  [...]  How does this
> advance the CP cause?

Exactly so.  Surely we are better off with a system that does not
work.

Furthermore, with the current system, entropy works in our favor.

We have the right to defend ourselves and our
property, because of the kind of animals that we        James A. Donald
are.  True law derives from this right, not from
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.            jamesd@netcom.com

Thread