1995-01-28 - Re: Even more unix holy wars.

Header Data

From: anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7e6bbca042288fee842f31fb7f6212c4807463cd68e346c863263e91be3fc706
Message ID: <199501280625.WAA28228@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 22:26:30 PST

Raw message

From: anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 22:26:30 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Even more unix holy wars.

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>Did I mention that DOS used to make you use EDLIN out of the box?

Did I mention that UNIX used to make you use ED out of the box?

> that Unix is somehow harder to use than DOS.

Of course it isn't.  Train somebody under BSD (say using csh/tcsh/zsh)
and they are totally prepared to get to work under ksh/bash/sh under
SVR4.  The commands are the same and so are the options, on say things
like ps.  NOT.

Unix commands are powerful and easy to use.  For example, to kill a
process I have to use "ps -aux" or "ps -ef" depending on which flavor
of unix I'm running, note the process id, and do a "kill -9 id".  Why
can't I kill a job by name (i.e. I can do a "fg %emacs" but not a
"kill %emacs".)

Unix is filled with design abortions like this.

> that X is harder to use than Windows

How about better Windows software is available?

Thread