1995-01-19 - Remailer-on-a-CD

Header Data

From: xpat@vm1.spcs.umn.edu
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7e8d772a88db6eac2b249bbde8a9c242e756a1799bbff5c4deec25296adef8b2
Message ID: <9501191924.AA17670@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Jan 95 11:24:54 PST

Raw message

From: xpat@vm1.spcs.umn.edu
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 95 11:24:54 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Remailer-on-a-CD

>The "Linux mavens" followed by the "black box" stuff sparked an idea...

>package.  To make it as easy as possible, I'd use the UMSDOS filesystem so
>that Linux could be installed on a DOS machine without any reformatting
>repartitioning, or similar headaches.

>distribution already has) and some boot options, you'd have an "instant
>remailer" software package, able to transform any 386SX/4MB RAM DOS macine
>or better into a Linux-based remailer site, complete with aliases, loggng

>So, am I dreaming, or does this sound viable to y'all?

OK, let's ponder the minimum hardware necessary,
possible minimal configuration (Intel/clone based):

(1) Case.
(2) Power supply.
(3) Motherboard/CPU and 4mb RAM.
(4) Hard drive w/ controller.
(5) modem card.

(5) No monitor, keyboard, floppy, or video card.
   (a) would require some "umbilical cord" connection to initially
       set up from another PC.
   (b) need to operate on "umbilical", direct and uucp modes.

I am just thinking out loud here, but the hardware could be damn
cheap (sub $500). You can find old 386 boards with 4mb right on
the board (no SIMMs) for next to nothing (the decreasing popularity
of 30-pin SIMMs makes this a surplus store reality, as nobody
wants to bother to strip out the RAM chips anymore).

I have also seen an ad by the KILA company in Boulder, CO who
advertise some sort of compact pc-on-a-card deal, that might
be applicable.

Comments?

P M Dierking |

Thread