1995-01-30 - Re: alt.religion.your.operating.system.sucks

Header Data

From: “Robert A. Hayden” <hayden@krypton.mankato.msus.edu>
To: Spif <c642011@cclabs.missouri.edu>
Message Hash: 89408c35dd142caeb9bad356c4152c0ec5dc428a59a9201b5eb79fc7af0953e9
Message ID: <Pine.ULT.3.91.950129195932.7990A-100000@krypton.mankato.msus.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.SGI.3.91.950129192639.2535A-100000@sgi7.phlab.missouri.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-30 02:03:53 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 29 Jan 95 18:03:53 PST

Raw message

From: "Robert A. Hayden" <hayden@krypton.mankato.msus.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 95 18:03:53 PST
To: Spif <c642011@cclabs.missouri.edu>
Subject: Re: alt.religion.your.operating.system.sucks

On Sun, 29 Jan 1995, Spif wrote:

> UNIX?  user hostile?  where have you been lately?  ever hear of X
> windows?  Indigo Magic Desktop?  these and zillions of other innovations
> have made UNIX more user-friendly than any other operating system I have
> used (which includes DOS, Windows, OS/2, and NeXTstep, among others).

Sorry, I need to disagree here.   The first time I tried to configure X
for my Linux system, it barfed.  It also spewed on several subsequent
attempts, and this is with pretty standard hardware.  I finally found an
X guru locally and he fixed it for me.  At the very least, Windoze and
OS/2 and NeXT give you graphics out of the box, with no need to spend
several hours configuring it just to get basics up, and no need to try to
find some kind of user-oriented documentation to guide you through these
hassles.

Now, I like Linux/Unix a lot.  It is really one of the better OSes out
there, but it isn't very friendly for the person that doesn't know what
they are doing, especially to configure basic apps.

> The only real barrier left to UNIX becoming the OS of choice is
> commercial app support (things like word processors and etc. becoming
> readily available and inexpensive).

I agree.  If I could get a WYSIWYG word processor for X that was as
robuse as MS Word or Wordperfect, I'd be a very camper.

____        Robert A. Hayden       <=> hayden@krypton.mankato.msus.edu
 \/  /  Finger for Geek Code Info  <=>     I am Pentium of Borg
   \/   Finger for PGP Public Key  <=>   you will be approximated

Thread