1995-01-25 - data charge

Header Data

From: Jaeson.M.Engle@josaiah.sewanee.edu (Rhys Kyraden)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8d719cac7ad57b690b5c71bcac3bfd18d06a0cf6fb97d05044279cb56be0914a
Message ID: <v01510102ab4c13015e0e@[152.97.12.101]>
Raw Date: Wed, 25 Jan 95 07:39:03 PST

Raw message

From: Jaeson.M.Engle@josaiah.sewanee.edu (Rhys Kyraden)
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 95 07:39:03 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: data charge

This came to the machttp_talk list and though it was appropriate here:
******************************
>>Subject: Modem Use Fees
>
>Here is some info that was forwarded to me that all Arts Mgt
>List readers will find interesting. Please act accordingly. Thanks!
>
>Two years ago the FCC tried and (with your help and letters of
>protest) failed to institute regulations that would impose
>additional costs on modem users for data communications. Now,
>they are at it again. A new regulation that the FCC is quietly
>working on will directly affect you as the user of a computer and
>modem. The FCC proposes that users of modems should pay extra
>charges for use of the public telephone network which carry their
>data. In addition, computer network services such as CompuServ,
>Tymnet, & Telenet would also be charged as much as $6.00 per hour
>per user for use of the public telephone network. These charges
>would very likely be passed on to the subscribers. The money is
>to be collected and given to the telephone company in an effort
>to raise funds lost to deregulation.  Jim Eason of KGO newstalk
>radio (San Francisco, CA) commented on the proposal during his
>afternoon radio program during which, he said he learned of the
>new regulation in an article in the New York Times. Jim took the
>time to gather addresses which are given below.
>

>Here's what you should do (NOW!):
>
>1-Pass this information on. Capture the information which
>contains the text you are reading now. Find other BBS's that are
>not carrying this  information. Upload the ASCII text into public
>message on the  BBS, and  also upload the file itself so others
>can easily get a copy to pass along.
>
>2-Print out three copies of the letter which follows (or write
>yours down) and send a signed copy to each of the following:
>
>       Chairman of the FCC
>       1919 M Street N.W.
>       Washington, D.C. 20554
>
>       Chairman, Senate Communication Subcommittee
>       SH-227 Hart Building
>       Washington, D.C. 20510
>
>       Chairman, House Telecommunication Subcommittee
>       B-331 Rayburn Building
>
>Here's the suggested text of the letter to send:
>
>Dear Sir:
>
>Please allow me to express my displeasure with the FCC
>proposal which would authorize a surcharge for the use of modems
>on the telephone network. This regulation is nothing less than an
>attempt to restrict the free exchange of information among the
>growing number of computer users. Calls placed using modems
>require no special telephone equipment, and users of modems pay
>the phone company for use of the network in the form of a monthly
>bill.
>
>In short, a modem call is the same as a voice call and
>therefore should not be subject to any additional regulation.
>
>       Sincerely,

>It is important that you act now. The bureaucrats already have
>it in their heads that modem users should subsidize the phone
> [...]

                                             aka:
(-: Jaeson M. Engle    ||    jme@josaiah.sewanee.edu :-)
(-:      www server: http://josaiah.sewanee.edu/         :-)
(-: It's February 8th! IT'S TIME!!! Ask me for details!:-)
(-: Finger 'jme@josaiah.sewanee.edu' for my Public :-)
                                        PGP block.

Thread