1995-01-20 - Re: Does encrypted equal safe?

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
To: “Paul J. Ste. Marie” <pstemari@erinet.com>
Message Hash: 973ab208c2f61ce3274c955b91519cf8ea2a5ee5f74218ea4008ed6f54821085
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950119195241.1505A-100000@access4.digex.net>
Reply To: <9501172355.AA12246@eri.erinet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-20 00:56:32 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Jan 95 16:56:32 PST

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 95 16:56:32 PST
To: "Paul J. Ste. Marie" <pstemari@erinet.com>
Subject: Re: Does encrypted equal safe?

On Tue, 17 Jan 1995, Paul J. Ste. Marie wrote:

> Date: Tue, 17 Jan 95 18:55:30 EST
> From: Paul J. Ste. Marie <pstemari@erinet.com>
> To: Eric Hughes <eric@remailer.net>, cypherpunks@toad.com
> Subject: Re: Does encrypted equal safe?
>
> At 01:28 PM 1/17/95 -0800, Eric Hughes wrote:
> > ... Meaning is subjective.  If I see encrypted text, am I to be held
> >responsible for having seen through an encryption for which I hold not
> >the key?  Merely because someone knows a transformation into a
> >disapproved form does not mean that I do. ...
>
> Which is exactly why the encrypt on receipt or decrypt on delivery ideas
> won't work.  You have to be provably ignorant of the data.

I must disagree.

This hinges on the REASON for encrypting the data.  In my model, data
that arrives at the haven unencrypted is unwelcome, and is encrypted to
be used as traffic "noise," not for security.  Any unencrypted data is
undesireable, it opening the door to kiddieporn by mail tactics.
(Government sends user A kiddie porn, then arrests user A for kiddie porn
possession.)

An automatic encryption of all unencrypted data, the key to which is
randomly generated and destroyed, allows the traffic to foil analysis,
while prevents the operator from being subjected to plant frames.

Decrypt on arrival is hardly defenseable in this context of course.

>     --Paul J. Ste. Marie
>       pstemari@well.sf.ca.us, pstemari@erinet.com

-uni- (Dark)

--
073BB885A786F666 nemo repente fuit turpissimus - potestas scientiae in usu est
6E6D4506F6EDBC17 quaere verum ad infinitum, loquitur sub rosa    -    wichtig!

Thread