1995-01-18 - TEMPEST

Header Data

From: joelm@eskimo.com (Joel McNamara)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a02d1d063865f3ff75dd9ad731806faf8ef9e9dd783cee7b10e344b8747d8553
Message ID: <199501181520.AB24570@mail.eskimo.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 18 Jan 95 07:21:06 PST

Raw message

From: joelm@eskimo.com (Joel McNamara)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 95 07:21:06 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: TEMPEST

I know, it's a little bit outside the normal realm of discussion, but...

The Cyphernomicon talks about a proposed, early Cypherpunk project that
dealt with TEMPEST/VanEck monitoring.  Did anyone carry this out beyond the
idea stage?  All I ever seem to see is "theory" and "hear-say" on this topic
(and the original VanEck article appears dated and incomplete).

I noticed the Consumertronics (John Williams in Alamogordo, New Mexico)
catalog has an assembled device that will work with EGA to SVGA monitors.
$3,995 seems a bit pricey though (or is it).  Has anyone had dealings with
Consumertronics in the past?

Replies directly back to me if this is a waste of bandwidth for the rest of
the list.

Thanks...

Joel McNamara
joelm@eskimo.com - finger for PGP key