1995-01-22 - Re: AA + Anonymous ECash = Unhappy Fundies

Header Data

From: Ben Goren <ben@Tux.Music.ASU.Edu>
To: Mike Duvos <mpd@netcom.com>
Message Hash: a098be5fc185167d137e6fdfeb7d9068eb9743038a9e5663f0269ca6710f45cf
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9501211849.A10943-0100000@Tux.Music.ASU.Edu>
Reply To: <199501220101.RAA20030@netcom5.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-22 01:36:06 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 21 Jan 95 17:36:06 PST

Raw message

From: Ben Goren <ben@Tux.Music.ASU.Edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 95 17:36:06 PST
To: Mike Duvos <mpd@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: AA + Anonymous ECash = Unhappy Fundies

On Sat, 21 Jan 1995, Mike Duvos wrote:
> hkhenson@cup.portal.com writes:
> [. . .]
>  > AA BBS is up to about 25,000 files.  There is a good chance
>  > that they will be available through the internet at some
>  > point.
>
> It strikes me that this would be the perfect way to generate
> consumer interest in anonymous digital cash protocols [. . . .]

Actually, this strikes me as a worst case scenario as far as promoting
cryptography goes. Don't get me wrong--I have no interest in telling
people they can't look at whatever pictures they want, or prevent others
from selling those pictures to them. But...to make such a close
association between what Joe Public considers degenerate trash and
cryptography....

The "cause" will do much better if the first major association is made
with something much less controversial. Girl Scout cookies, say.

b&
--
Ben.Goren@asu.edu, Arizona State University School of Music
 Finger ben@tux.music.asu.edu for PGP public key ID 0xCFF23BD5.