1995-01-14 - Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

Header Data

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a566b41c455021db2efeeb0d001babd3a2fa786a834a5977d28f116d0b64a944
Message ID: <199501142339.PAA08580@jobe.shell.portal.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Jan 95 15:39:11 PST

Raw message

From: Hal <hfinney@shell.portal.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 95 15:39:11 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: How do I know if its encrypted?

If you want to not be able to read the files on your storage site, then
why not just try reading them?  Check their entropy to make sure it is
maximal, check that they can't be unzipped, unstuffed, displayed as gif
or jpeg files.  When a new format becomes popular add that to the list.
This is all you can do.

What does this gain you?  I'm not sure.  If someone posts encrypted
Windows 95, then publicizes the location and the key, people will get the
data just as easily as if it were not encrypted.

Hal

Thread