1995-01-29 - Re: Protocols for a Data Bank

Header Data

From: norm@netcom.com (Norman Hardy)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a84f47c3c519e60bc2f02af75f261581caab0cdbe3b5d210a4f3fd2baa6de157
Message ID: <ab50d284000210041752@DialupEudora>
Raw Date: Sat, 28 Jan 95 21:11:45 PST

Raw message

From: norm@netcom.com (Norman Hardy)
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 95 21:11:45 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Protocols for a Data Bank

At 4:39 PM 1/28/95, jpp@markv.com wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 28 Jan 1995 15:49:13 -0800
>> From: norm@netcom.com (Norman Hardy)
>>   [...]
>> Selling Hat Checks: The bank will sell a hat check to anyone who will pay a
>> negotiated price. The hat check specifies the secure hash of the data, the
>> penalty to be paid upon failure to produce the data, and the cost of
>> redeeming the data. The hat check is signed blindly by the bank and is a
>                                              ^^^^^^^
>> bearer instrument. Any holder of a hat check can present the check along
>> with the redemption fee and demand the data.
>
>  Why in the world would the bank want to sign blindly?  The bank
>would be undertaking an obligation of an unknown nature.  Would you
>sign a blank check?  A blank contract?  I wouldn't.
You are right. I forgot that the blind signer knows nothing of what we
signs. The protocol requirements seem clear but I lack a protocol. I think
I have a fix but I will be more careful before I post.

Thread