1995-01-27 - Re: Even more unix holy war. Was “Clinton freezes U.S. assets ..”

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@imsi.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b14437d9101440a840cd6fa5d68b8fc873c3c580f82d6e168b9a757bb7eeea39
Message ID: <9501271541.AA18730@snark.imsi.com>
Reply To: <9501270505.AA00287@carbon.informix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-27 15:41:42 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 07:41:42 PST

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@imsi.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 07:41:42 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Even more unix holy war. Was "Clinton freezes U.S. assets .."

jamesd@com.informix.com says:
> And did I mention that "make" used to treat a tab as semanticly
> different from a space, so that a tab with an invisible space
> in front of it would result in the makefile failing.
>
> Oh yes, I did mention that.

Did I mention that DOS used to make you use EDLIN out of the box?

I strongly suspect, James, that you don't understand how to evaluate
an operating system. You make bizarre, insane claims that NT is
somehow more secure than Unix (???), that Unix is somehow harder to
use than DOS, that X is harder to use than Windows (sure, if you
compare the worst Unix editor against the best Windows has I'm sure
you can come up with some vague ammunition. I can play that game too
-- compare FrameMaker against Notepad.)

Luckily, the market has given most of us the best revenge on you,
James -- the Unix world isn't desperately trying to catch up with
MS-DOG.

I'm reminded of a recent instance in which a client and I had to
install an entire trading floor full of Sun workstations -- since we
had decent tools, the task took about two hours, give or take. The PC
ignorami, who make fun of Unix all the time, had a PC on each desk,
too. Their team of about 15 people couldn't finish the task in four days.

But I'm not going to continue this any further. James isn't equipped
to conduct the conversation.

Perry

Thread