1995-01-02 - cnonymity, law and order

Header Data

From: an172607@anon.penet.fi (duquesne duke)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b2f40b23ac5efbaf01ca4e4ebf24e2dbad6a9d5e6b76ae0c9ba8dc1261b4c41d
Message ID: <9501020251.AA27454@anon.penet.fi>
Raw Date: Sun, 1 Jan 95 19:48:12 PST

Raw message

From: an172607@anon.penet.fi (duquesne duke)
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 95 19:48:12 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: cnonymity, law and order

I want to publicly thank John Young for making articles available.  MOst of
those articles I would not otherwise have seen.

I was particularly interested in Peter Lewis's article from the New York Tines
that John offered.  Was there anyone in the world, well, in the cyberworld, who
was fooled by the article on the Microsoft acquisition of the Catholic church?
Anyone, who after reading that piece, considered anything other than the
creativity of the author, should be committed to St. John's Home for the
Desperately Dumb.

However, there was something in that article that was of concern.  If the
Massachusetts judge in the MIT student case actually said that he couldn't act
because Congress had not enacted any laws, then it is for sure they will try to
and they will try to act hurriedly.  Hurried actions by congress are even worse
than their considered actions.  I think we need to keep in touch with our
representatives and senators to make sure that all of the ramifications of any
law are considered.  Sometimes laws passed by Congress are rather well
intentioned, but the bureaucrats who write the policies and procedures by which
the laws will be implemented can make them an albatross around our necks.
These policy and procedure writers are dreadfully misinformed and are to
enamored with their power and position to inform themselves.

Admittedly, anonymity and law and order are not easy bed fellows, but difficult
issues are never solved by hurried, uninformed, politically-motivated action.
This puts some pressure on us cypherpunks.  We have to be ready to consider all
aspects of the argument so that our presentation in favor of anonymity will be
taken seriously.

To find out more about the anon service, send mail to help@anon.penet.fi.
Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to admin@anon.penet.fi.

Thread