1995-01-13 - Re: Some PGP problems

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
To: crunch@well.sf.ca.us (John Draper)
Message Hash: b6b185c4a0d0c6d7dd2fd37a1f8bbd6d9e7d6fa903b4ddeab794261e51b66b5e
Message ID: <199501130743.CAA24613@bwh.harvard.edu>
Reply To: <199501130551.VAA01278@well.sf.ca.us>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-13 07:44:32 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 23:44:32 PST

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 95 23:44:32 PST
To: crunch@well.sf.ca.us (John Draper)
Subject: Re: Some PGP problems

	There are two versions of MacPGP that use RSAREF, and are thus
legal & kosher, plus Viacrypts.  The free ones are MIT, and 2.6.2ca.
The MIT one doesn't support Apple Events.  The Apple event supporting
PGP's can be driven by a menu interface called the MacPGP kit. 2.3 is
not fully compatible with 2.6; I use 2.6.2 with the kit.

MIT: telnet net-dist.mit.edu, login as getpgp
server.netcom.com:/pub/gr/grady/PGP/MacPGP262b1.2.sea.hqx.asc)
duke.bwh.harvard.edu:/pub/adam/mcip/MacPGPKit.hqx

	You were supposed to use gunzip (GNU's unzip) to unzip, but
Stufit deluxe will handle it; just tell Stuffit its a zipped file.

Crunch asked:

| I learn that Mac PGP2.3 exists,  but NO version 2.6
| exists for the Mac.   Is that true?    If not,  then
| where can I get a copy,  so I can decode a message
| created with 2.6?    If ver 2.3 will decode a message
| encoded with 2.6,  then I'm faced with how I can
| extract this Mac file which has a .gz extension.
| Binhex don't seem to decode it.  So,  I now got this
| file named "macpgp2.3.cpt.hqx.gz" on my Mac.    Was
| I supposed to have used some special UNIX itility to
| convert the .gz thingie first?    Please emlighten
| this confused cypherpunker!!! :-)   Or will I even have
| to do all of this because 2.3 is incompatable with 2.6.

						       -Hume

Thread