1995-01-10 - Re: procmail: another question

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@netcom.com>
To: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
Message Hash: c80c92af845905338980f4ae6968b69a9e659d608891ca933819fa7d26ee5ad6
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9501101110.A28938-0100000@netcom5>
Reply To: <199501101826.NAA15838@hermes.bwh.harvard.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-10 19:27:40 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 10 Jan 95 11:27:40 PST

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 95 11:27:40 PST
To: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
Subject: Re: procmail: another question

On Tue, 10 Jan 1995, Adam Shostack wrote:
> 	Procmail is a very versatile, relatively easy to use way of
> processing mail.

"Relatively easy"  -- Relative to the usual venomous Unix
user hostile interface that is.   I use procmail, but my
local Unix guru does not, even though he has a clear need to do so.

>  Its most obvious function is to put mailing lists
> into one or several folders, but it also can be made into a file
> server*, automatically retrieve PGP keys, act as a basic remailer,
> etc, etc.

The .procmailrc file is in effect a program, rather than
a bunch of flags.

Every time procmail receives a message it interpretively
executes this program, which does a pattern match on the mail, if
it gets a match, passes the mail to some external program,
which may be yet another invocation of procmail executing
a different .rc file.

Now if us windows folk had done it, we would have done
it as visual basic controls and we would have created
an installation program.  Still I must
confess, we windows folk have not done it and the unix folk have
done it, so I guess it is score 1 for unix, 0 for
windows.

But I guarantee the chairman of the board is not going
to use procmail.

We have the right to defend ourselves and our
property, because of the kind of animals that we    James A. Donald
are.  True law derives from this right, not from    http://nw.com/jamesd/
the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.        jamesd@netcom.com

Thread