1995-01-22 - AA + Anonymous ECash = Unhappy Fundies

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d556a99c074b6e2b9f31bea75c9f585c052dc0eb4d2a9e346e4b181f5b858e2c
Message ID: <199501220101.RAA20030@netcom5.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 21 Jan 95 17:04:03 PST

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 95 17:04:03 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: AA + Anonymous ECash = Unhappy Fundies

hkhenson@cup.portal.com writes:

 > AA BBS is still up, and may well stay up for the whole time
 > Robert is in prison.  He has no other way to support his
 > family or pay for legal defense.  Also, outside of western
 > TN, OK, Utah, and other backwards places, what he is selling
 > is legal--even protected under the First Amendment.  (Though
 > some of it *is* kinda gross :-) )

But certainly no worse than the stuff which regularly flows
through a.b.p.tasteless and a.b.p.bestiality.

 > AA BBS is up to about 25,000 files.  There is a good chance
 > that they will be available through the internet at some
 > point.

It strikes me that this would be the perfect way to generate
consumer interest in anonymous digital cash protocols.  The
entire AA collection, hooked up to the net through a T-3, and
available for a nominal fee per GIF, could easily make the AA
Sysops millionaires by the time their sentences are over.  Such a
setup would make their pictures available to everyone, not just
the limited number of people their BBS has the capacity to
handle.

Perhaps the server could be placed securely overseas in a neutral
country which still respects privacy and free speech.  Orders could
be encrypted using the server's PGP key and the customer could
specify the passphrase to be used to IDEA encrypt the "goods"
prior to shipment, ala NetBank.

 > Trying to control information in the network age is about
 > as sucessful as pissing into the wind.

When the government pisses into the wind, the citizens get wet.

     mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $

Thread