1995-01-23 - Re: Locksmith’s Guild wants limit on free speech

Header Data

From: pstemari@erinet.com (Paul J. Ste. Marie)
To: John Young <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dc88697814d304d56f4b53df0cc457095ed4dca1504390d114f9328ce8f17b16
Message ID: <9501230415.AB11561@eri.erinet.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Jan 95 20:24:04 PST

Raw message

From: pstemari@erinet.com (Paul J. Ste. Marie)
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 95 20:24:04 PST
To: John Young <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Locksmith's Guild wants limit on free speech

At 12:42 PM 1/22/95 -0500, John Young wrote:
>Both fear that they do not know the code well enough to take the risk of
>being found at fault by random municipal inspections of construction.
>A-E's dread the liability and blame by owners for well-known construction
>corner-cutting, and owners suspect their professionals competency and
>ethics -- afraid that the pros will certify in ignorance or cupidity and
>that the owners will face costly corrections without having the traditional
>scapegoat of over-weening government to justify cheating in the field.

A classic example of people being unwilling to accept responsibility for the
outcome of their own actions.  That said, building inspection serve much the
same function as code reviews, and are a "good thing" for exactly the same
reason.  I suspect that the A-E's will lobby for liability exemptions, and
if they fail to get them, they will wind up going to private building
inspectors/"code consultants" just like in-house accountants bring in
outside auditors.

    --Paul J. Ste. Marie
      pstemari@well.sf.ca.us, pstemari@erinet.com

Thread