1995-01-30 - Re: alt.religion.your.operating.system.sucks

Header Data

From: Spif <c642011@cclabs.missouri.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ddf546d34fbfb78205b193a7371b3df1d0e6496b2c31cb2662004b4743bbae9b
Message ID: <Pine.SGI.3.91.950129192639.2535A-100000@sgi7.phlab.missouri.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9501291649.A14175-0100000@netcom5>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-30 01:29:07 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 29 Jan 95 17:29:07 PST

Raw message

From: Spif <c642011@cclabs.missouri.edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 95 17:29:07 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: alt.religion.your.operating.system.sucks

On Sun, 29 Jan 1995, James A. Donald wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jan 1995, Joe Turner wrote:
> > Additionally, I don't know of too many operating
> > systems where the source code is floating around.  I mean so what if
> > it doesn't come with a pretty shrink wrapped package and a thick
> > getting-started, if you have a question just go find the source code.
> > Geez.
>
> There are some communities of software developers that have
> this strange belief that program behavior should conform to user
> expectations instead of the user conforming to the program
> behavior.
>

> Your other remarks are rational, relevant, appropriate, and correct,
> but this remark illustrates magnificently why unix is
> still user hostile after all these years.

UNIX?  user hostile?  where have you been lately?  ever hear of X
windows?  Indigo Magic Desktop?  these and zillions of other innovations
have made UNIX more user-friendly than any other operating system I have
used (which includes DOS, Windows, OS/2, and NeXTstep, among others).
The only real barrier left to UNIX becoming the OS of choice is
commercial app support (things like word processors and etc. becoming
readily available and inexpensive).

    Bryan Venable               | c642011@cclabs.missouri.edu
    Student & MOO Administrator | wlspif@showme.missouri.edu
    U of Missouri - Columbia    | spif@pobox.com
    SGI/Netscape/MOO addict     | spif@m-net.arbornet.org
    Spif or Turmandir @ MOOs    | http://www.phlab.missouri.edu/~c642011

             <insert standard university disclaimer here>

Thread